Tuesday 5 April 2011

1st album cover edit.


This is my first draft of my album cover for Lifelong Controversy. This is very different to the idea I started off with when I first started drafting my album cover ideas onto paper. My initial idea for my album cover was to have an amp with a disconnected guitar in the background. I wanted to have the amp at the forefront of the image blurred out with the guitar in focus clearly in the background of the image. I then wanted the band name, Lifelong Controversy, at the top of the album cover with the song title 'You're Disconnected' at the bottom of the cover. However, I have decided to change this idea due to the fact that I thought it would of been to complicated to make possible.


I decided to change my idea. I still wanted to keep the idea of having a piece of musical equipment disconnected from a power source as the main image. I asked one of my friends, Aaron Hill, to bring in a headset which he owns into College in order to take pictures of the disconnected headset for my main image of my album cover. In order to keep the focus on the headset and the fact it has been disconnected, when taking the picture I decided to place the wire of the headset carefully away from the main headset itself so that it didn't block the image. I then took a couple of photographs with a digital camera once I was happy with the positioning of headset and then chose the image I believed looked best.

I then uploaded my photos onto a computer and then opened the photography I liked into photoshop. My next task was to create a font which I believe represented the punk genre and then place them onto my image within photoshop. I already had the band name's font finished so I started with that. I opened up the name in Microsoft publisher, clicked on the image and then dragged it across to the photoshop tab, dragged the name onto the photograph I had taken and finally let go of the text. I then used the arrow tool and positioned the text where I wanted it on the image. In order to change the size of the text on photoshop I had to use the free transform tool. In order to find this tool, I had to first click on Edit and free transform. This tool allows you to edit images and text on photoshop, for example, rotation and changing sizes of text.


A common feature I found on most album front covers is a 'parental advisory' sticker. Seeing this, I decided to include one on the front of my album cover. To do this I simplely copied an image of the sticker from google and pasted it onto my album cover. I then moved the image into the corner of my album cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment